- This event has passed.
Business Networking Event – Supporting Working Carers
March 10th - 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Supporting carers in the workplace is not an issue which can be ignored, and we want to help!
Currently 3 million people in the UK juggle paid work with unpaid caring responsibilities – 1 in 9 people in any workforce – and this number is set to increase by half as much again in the next 25 years due to:
- An ageing population and more people living longer with disability as a result of advances in medical technology
- An ageing workforce, with fewer young people entering the job market and later retirement ages (including later state pension ages)
- Tighter public sector budgets for care and support services which will increase the pressure on families and friends to care
- More people therefore needing to work and care longer – most people will look after an older, disabled or seriously ill relative or friend at some stage in their lives, the majority during their working lives.
Forward looking employers now recognise caring as an issue which will have an increasing impact on their employees and on themselves as businesses. Already 90% of working carers are aged 30 plus – employees in their prime employment years. The peak age for caring is also 50-64 when many employees will have gained valuable skills and experience. Research has indicated that over 2 million people have given up work at some point to care for loved ones and 3 million have reduced working hours which is a real loss for employers as well as for families.
This event will start at 4.00pm and will focus on how we can help you to access the resources needed to effectively support carers in your employ. And will include:
- Raising awareness of caring and caring issues in the workplace.
- Reviewing and ‘carer proofing’ current policies and practice.
- Identifying and engaging with carers in the workplace.
- Developing, supporting and managing staff carer networks.
- Training and supporting line managers to implement carer friendly policies.
- Signposting employees to sources of workplace and external support
The evening will end with a further opportunity to network whilst enjoying refreshments and canapéFind out more & book
- When: 10th March 2020
- Where: Lord Mayors Reception Room, Council House